Monday, April 29, 2013

"Stuck"...the Documentary, on Tour.

Karl and I went to see a documentary called "Stuck" last night. It's a great film, and I highly recommend it for anyone with heart for children...which I'll bet, is every single person I know. 
The film's producer, Craig Juntunen is visiting over 60 cities across the U.S... next month, he will finish the tour in Washington DC by delivering a petition to congress. He is doing whatever he can to make a difference. Please consider watching it here  

There are parts of the adoption process that I really can't bear to think about because they terrify me. Jamie, Henry and Rosie are so much a part of us, that the idea that we could have never met is unimaginable. I can't bear to think about those times when they were alone, scared, and sick...and most tragically, a time in their young lives when they didn't belong to anyone. 
Nothing frightens me more. 
But one thing that comes close is remembering those kids who are still stuck waiting in orphanages. 

When I was able to travel to Ethiopia to meet Rosie at her orphanage, a little girl about 5 years old politely introduced herself to me and asked if I could be her mama. This little girl knew exactly what she needed... parents, and she was doing whatever she could to find one. 
To her it was very simple. 
She needed a mother and I looked like one. 
And she was absolutely right. It really is simple...children need parents. 
For no good reason, international adoptions have declined drastically over the past five years. Thousands of children have been denied the love of a family for no good reason. Thousands of  parents have been told that they may not adopt an orphan for no good reason. Wonderful men and women who are anxious and willing to love any child who needs them are being told that this can't happen.
Our Rosie, waiting for us in Ethiopia.
Signing a petition to ask that the United States proactively work to remove the barriers of international adoption seems like a small thing to do, but it's a beginning. Adoption is a tremendous act of love. Love is something that starts quite small, but grows larger and stronger. This petition will also grow stronger with each signature. In honor of those children waiting for parents of their own, please sign and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment