Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Joshua Bell Superstar

Joshua B., violin superstar
While I am not musically inclined,  I very much enjoy listening to music and feel good that all of our kids have learned to play an instrument at some point in their lives.
Well, maybe not Rosie just yet, but she can already pound out a mean vibraslap...
(just in case you are unfamiliar with little R's instrument of choice)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibraslap

Lily began playing the violin in kindergarten and I am so glad that she has stayed with it.
There is something about the violin that I really love but find hard to put into words.
I think its all of that sound and spirit coming out of that little spot just over the heart that I find so moving.

 Superstar violinist Joshua Bell came to town last night and Lily and I were fortunate enough to see him play in concert.

"I didn't think that you could get so sweaty playing the violin..." Lily whispered to me during the show.
Joshua Bell plays with pure sweaty passion that startled Miss Lily at first.
If I didn't see it for myself, I would have a hard time believing the amazing voice that came from Mr. Bell's violin. He played without a microphone and was accompanied only by a pianist, but sounded like a full symphony... absolutely beautiful.
A few years ago Joshua Bell participated in a social experiment where he donned a baseball hat, went incognito and played Bach in a Washington DC subway station. Thousands of people filed past him as he played an intricate piece on his Stradivarius violin worth millions of dollars. Only a handful of folks stopped to listen. A few tipped...he made about $32.

I imagine that this was a humbling experience for Mr. Bell, but I am glad that he agreed to participate.
This is from the Post news article that was written after Joshua played...

"The experiment that was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and priorities of people. The outlines were: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour: Do we perceive beauty?

Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize the talent in an unexpected context?

One of the possible conclusions from this experience could be: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, how many other things are we missing?"
 

Joshua B. being ignored in the subway.

Lily G. violin student.
She was practicing here, hence the annoyed "go away" look.

After the concert, Joshua Bell kindly stayed for a bit and signed programs and cd's.
Here are my two favorite (and also both very cute) violinists together. 






No comments:

Post a Comment